Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My last weekend in Gabs







Last weekend was my last weekend in the city of Gaborone. I can't believe I am going home soon. We were going to try to go to the Kalahari again but decided that since it was my last weekend there that I wanted to try and do and see all the things I hadn't. It was actually a pretty long list for 1 weekend but we managed to do it all except the aloe forest. We wouldn't have been able to manage al of it if we didn't hire Tendai to go with us. Some of the places we never would have found.

We started off early Sat morning to the sewage ponds to see if I could find more birds. We went to 2 different ponds and then to the Booka dam. I did see a few more birds. After Booka we went to the Matsieng footprints. It was my 3rd time there so I went off and took pictures of birds while Uma and Nha listened to the guide. From there we drove south to go to the Mannyana rock paintings. The painting were on the rocks in a big rock mountain. The kept talking about rock rabbits and didn't know what they were taking about. They were rock hyrax! That is what the locals call them. There were so many of them there. The Livingston tree was near by so we stopped there as well. THe gate was locked but we just looked. It wasn't on my list but it was right there. It is where Livingston preached to the locals. The last thing we did that day wasn't on the list but I am glad we did it. When we were at the footprints the guide gave Uma a brochure for another place, it was the Mmamotshwane gorge and it looked pretty neat. Tendai asked if we wanted to go see it since we still had plenty of light left and we all agreed to go. It took awhile to get there since we took a couple wrong turns but we finally made it. We had to hike and climb up rocks and cross water. It wasn't too bad of a climb but Tendia kept saying this was just a warm up for tomorrow. We were going to climb K'gale hill in the morning. We made it up and down with just a few spills and wet shoes.

The next morning Nha and I went with Tendai to climb K'gale hill. It is supposed to be a rough area but it wasn't. Early in the mornings people go there to excercise. There were so many people there climbing the mountain. We met one of Tendais frineds there since he goes there everyday. We took the easy way up. Ha Ha if you can call it easy. I thought I was going to die! It was tough and they went too fast for me so I just went at my own pace stopping several times. I did make it though all the way to the top! We were supposed to go down the hard way but I said they could go ahead I was going the easy way. I told them I was leaving for Jo'burg in the morning and didn't think they would lke it if I didn't make it. It was a steep climb down that was and I probably would have fell and hurt myself. After K'gale hill Tendai took us on the No 1 Lady's Detective Agency tour. I saw all the places they shoot the movies. That was pretty cool. Nha and I went to the Tea Garden for breakfast then met Uma at the apartment and tried to go to the Odi weavers. It was closed but it was a nice drive and I probably wouldn't have bought anything anyway. We headed back and went into the Gabs game reserve to teach Uma to drive a stick shift. Bull and Bush for dinner and that was the end of my touring of Gaborone.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen, what a fabulous experience you're having. I'm so jealous. It looks so beautiful there. Hope you got to see some RRs!
    Have a safe trip home,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete