Sunday, October 4, 2009

Jo'burg

I have been not so good about posting to the blog since I went to Jo-burg and then I have traveled a lot since I left there so there are a bunch of posts all at once.

My trip didn’t start out good. I didn’t look at my itinerary very well. I thought I left at 8am but that was my arrival time. I found that out when I got to the airport at 7am and the plane was already gone! I got on the next flight which was 1 ½ hours later. That was delayed! There were only 3 of us on the plane. I got there and worked OT almost every day there. The grocery stores are much better there than in Botswana and the wine is so cheap!! A good bottle of wine is 40 rand that is just over $5US. Jo’burg wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There definitely rough areas. It is like any bad area in the US, you just have to be careful and smart.

The 1st room at the Razzel Lodge was the best. It was huge! There weren’t any rooms near the others or even any regular rooms so I got the big one. When the boys from Botswana left, I moved over the others into a normal room. They were comfortable and had a little kitchen. The property was gated and safe.

My 1st weekend there I went on a zip line across a gorge in Magalisberg. It was really fun, I have always wanted to go on one. The next day we went to the Rose bank flea market. I am not a flea market kind of girl, so I went to the mall that was right there and had breakfast and drank lattes! I didn’t bring my coffee maker to Jo’burg and had to drink instant coffee. It was very difficult for me, I was suffering. After the mall we went to the Lion Park. It was nice but didn’t meet my expectations. It would have been ok ifI hadn’t been on safari before but it was kind of like a zoo. The only difference you drive in there and are right next to the lions in your car.
We had a SA holiday on Thursday and we worked ½ day. We went out to lunch with Les and his wife to a place in Melrose Arch. It was a great area and if I was staying in Jo’burg for 3 months I would go there every weekend and just hang out. It was my kind of place, it was the complete opposite of the flea market. For my last weekend there I planned to go to Cape Town. I was so lucky the travel agent got me in since it was a holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment