Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Makanyane Lodge, Madikwe Game Reserve














I decided to go to Madikwe last minute. I got off work at 1pm and went back to the apartment to see if I could get into a lodge. I tried the Madikwe River Lodge where dad and Cindy stayed but I had a hard time. I remembered he say a lot of lions and the wild dogs so I tried the lodge close to it which was Makanyane. Lynette was very friendly and gave me a special rate and I was on my way. Nha drove me to the border and then I was picked up by the guy who gave me rides last year. He took me to the lodge from there. The lodge was right on the Marico river. Last year I was at Tau lodge which was fenced and the River lodge was fenced too. I assumed this would be fenced also but it wasn't. This lodge had its own property too, like in north Botswana, it was a private concession. None of the other lodges could go onto the property. I got there after 4pm so I missed going out on the afternoon game drive. I was shown to my room(little house) which was also on the river.
The room was huge and so nice. I think it is the 2nd nicest place I have been. The Cape Town accommodation last year is still the best. I was in cabin #4 and it was called leadwood. THere was a big leadwood tree in my room between the bathroom and the bedroom area. There was a indoor and an outdoor shower, a big clawfoot tub. My sister would love it, the water is so hot!
I took a bath everynight with a view out to the river. It was great! I had dinner in my room twice. I was the only one there basically. I had wildebeest, impala, springbok and ostrich while I was there. I also had carrot and cumin soup that was delicious and the best desserts! During the day I would hang out in the lounge chairs and read my book hoping for the birds to come around. I did see a few new ones! I didn't wander around the camp. I was a bit nervous with it not being fenced. You will find out why from my next post!









1 comment: