Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Game Drives
























The first game drive I went on we saw 3 rhinos and a pride of 17 lions! The pride is usually 20, the 2 males and 1 adult female wasn't with the bunch. The were napping, it was like a sea of lions! It was amazing. You could tell they had a kill recently because you could see the blood stains on their fur and they had full bellies. Some other highlights of the game drives was more lions. I saw so many lions on this trip. I saw 2 male lions napping, the pride of 17 on another day hunting. They gave up and we moved on we also the missing adult female with another male that wasn't one of the pride males. We saw a spotted hyena, slender and banded mongoose, springbok, waterbuck, impala, red hartebeeste, wildebeest, steenbok, kudu, bushbuck, giraffe, zebra , elephant, hippos, water monitor, black backed jackel, baboon, vervet monkey and 7 new birds. I have 2 unidentified so I might have a few more.


The reason I didn't walk around camp was because of the pride of 17 lions. They were very near the lodge. I was the only one around and I was scared the lions would come and get me! The lions were outside one of the cabins a few nights before I got there so I didn't want to take a chance. I didn't see the wild dogs again! I couldn't believe it. It make so mad! We went to find them on the afternoon game drive because the den was far from camp. We hung out at a waterhole for awile and then headed back to camp because it would take about 45 minutes to get back. It was getting dark and we heard over the radio the dogs were at the water hole we left, killed a kudu and then had the kill stolen from them by hyaena's. Even though I was the only one on my last 2 game drives we didn't try to find them again. Hopefully I will see them the next time. I know where they den now and will pick a lodge closer to them. ?Unfortunately it will be far away from the big pride of lions but I really want to see those dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment