Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mopani worms and Shake shake


I told all the expats that they had to drink shake shake(local sorgum beer) and eat mopani worms at my party. None of them were very happy with me. They thought they lucked out when Amos and Bushe couldn't find any mopani but Pearl found them and prepared them for the party. I had shake shake the last year I was there so I wasn't worried about that but I was a bit nervous about the mopani worms. They aren't actually worms but catepillars. Still it is pretty gross to think you are eating a bug. I just didn't want it to be juicy so they were dried and cooked with peppers and onions. The shake shake ended up being worse. Last year it was just chunky like oatmeal, this year it tasted like vomit. I don't know if it was just because I was so sick that same week that it reminded me of it but the others thought so too. Shake shake ferments in the box. YOu have to shake it before you drink it, hense the name shake shake. Amos prepared it for us and said it wouldn't be too strong because it was only 2 day old. It sat in the sun on the wall before we drank it, yuck!
The worms we ate later after we ate. Most were having a shot of tequila after to wash it down and kill anything they thought they would get from eating them. It was more of a mental thin g eating the worms. They weren't bad. It ws kind of like dried shrimp. Suwanne had no problem eating them but Lee was very dramatic! It took him forever to actually take one out of the bowl and then he was very vocal before he actually took a bite. He tried to wash it down with his beer but he started gagging and carrying on. He almost threw up. The locals just popped them in their mouth like nothing but they are used to eating them. It was fun and I am glad I made everyone do it even though some didnn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment