Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Central Kalahari Game Reserve























It was a holiday on Monday so we had a 3 day weekend my 1st weekend in Botswana. Suwanee, Miya and I decided to go to the Kalahari. We were going to camp, yes camp. can you believe I camped? I can't you can tell I really wanted to go to the Kalahari. I haven't slept in a tent since I was 12 years old.


One of the girls at work has an uncle that has a mobile safari business. Miya and Suwanee went on a trip with him the week before. It was cheaper than my normal safari's at lodges so I decided to give it a go. We flew to Maun and Dennis picked us up in the safari vehicle. he had a helper with him, his name was Ronnie. After we got our bags loded we went to Choppies to shop for the weekend and then to Spar. it took way too long. We then had to make another stop. I saw a stray dog with a ridge. I didn't get a picture of it. it was a small light wheaton dog, didn't look like a rr but had a perfect ridge.


We then drove 4.5 hours to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. The camp was right by the front gate. We had our tents right next to the bathroom. The pathroom was full of bugs and the hot water didn't work. it wasn't pleasant. The sleeping matts were not much so sleeping wasn't very good either, The 1st night I was so tired I slept until about 4am then woke up because it was so hot in the tent and then all I could think about was how hard the ground was. It was all good, the game drives were good and we got to stay out for a long time.


The tripback to maun we went a different way that only took 3.5 hours and it was better scenery. We got to Maun early so we ate at the restaurant across from the airport. I did see another ridged dog, not a ridgeback again but it probably had some in it. Big thick bush tail but it had a long ridge. It was more rr size that the 1st one i saw but I did get a picture of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment