Saturday, October 10, 2009

African Wild Dogs


















I was on a quest to see the wild dog while I was in Africa. This was my last safari before I came home. My dad and Cindy saw the dogs in Madikwe and I just couldn't manage to see them. I was starting to get angry. When I arrived at camp they asked what do I want to see and I said the wild dog, they said oh, you should have come in August, it is going to be hard to find them. It was the morning game drive and it was drizzling. We had to wear ponchos to stay dry. We set out to find the dogs. They found the tracks and the other vechicle joined us. 2 trackers we on foot and we followed in the car. It went on forever. After about 6 hours we finally stopped for a tea break. I had to go to the bathroom so bad! I had to pee behind an termite mound. We were out another couple of hours and we gave up. We were off road, driving over trees, through bush and over rocks it was a very bumpy ride. After we gave up the other vechicle went back in the other direction. It was still very cloudy and the guides couldn't see the sun to figure out which way was back to camp. We were driving around forever trying to find a road. At one point they stopped and we saw smoke coming from the engine. We had blown a hole in the radiator. Not only were we lost in the bush but we were broken down too. They radio'd camp and they would keep reeving up the engine so our rescuers could hear where we were. They finally found us, and we set off back to camp. We got back so late, we were out over 10 hours and we didn't even find the dogs. They asked if I wanted to still go out on the evening activity since we were all tired and I said of course I want to go out. It was a good thing too because we were out 10 minutes and the other car found the dogs! Our guide drove like a mad man in the new vechicle which was an older vechile and it didn't have lap belts. I thought I was going to fly out of the truck! We caught up with the other vechile and I got to see 6 of the 18 of the pack of dogs! I was so excited but I didn't get a good pic because it was getting dark. It made my trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment