Friday, October 9, 2009

Leaving Jo'burg to Gabs,Gabs to Kasane

I left to go back to Gabs after work on Monday. My plan was to get back to Gabs at 7pm go to Nandos and get strips and rice and then back to the apartment to pack for my last trip/safari in Botswana. My flight was to leave at 9am the next morning. I got to the airport early, since it was an international flight and the traffic in Jo'burg can be really bad because of all the construction for the 2010 World Cup. They usually have 1 lane of the freeway open. I got there checked in and waited. A thunder nd lightning storm started while I was waiting. I was hoping it would pass before we were to take off. THe plane was delayed. They wouldn't tell us anything. It was the last flight to Gabs for the evening. THe earliest flight in the morning wouldn't get me back to pack at the apartment and then back to the airport to fly to Kasane. The time kept passing and there was no info about if we were going to leave or not. All the other planes were leaving but we weren't One lady said it was because the Air Botswana pilots aren't used to flying in that weather. 2 1/2 hours later we finally we able to board the plane. We still sat on the plane for a long time but I made it back to Gabs after 10pm still hd to do my laundry and pack.

I finished my packing in the morning and was ready to go to the airport at 8am for my 9 am flight. 9am came and went with no boarding and no explaination. They finally told us we would leave at 10:30am. When it was after 11am they brought us peanuts, biltong and drinks and said we would be leaving at 12:15pm. We finally got on the plane at 1pm and took off at 1:20pm. I sat in the airport for5 hours. I work right down the street. I could have worked 1/2 day and not used vacation time and went to the airport at 12. They only fly to Kasane on Tues, Fri and Sunday. It doesn't make it very easy and thy don't have very many flights. That was why I could never get up to Chobe before. I finally made it though but I was picked up and delivered to the wrong lodge. In the end everything worked out and I was finally at the Chobe Maina Lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment