Friday, October 9, 2009

Kwando River Lodge













I arrived at the Kwando River lodge around noon on Friday. It was so hot and humid there just like in Chobe. This was a very simple camp. It is in definite need of a make over. It was more like ruffing it compared to the other camps I had been to. I didn't mind, they were supposed to have a pack of wild dogs in the area and that was the one thing I hadn't seen that I really wanted to. The camp was right on the Kwando river. Namibia was on the other side of the river. The boat wasn't working so the only activity available was game drives. I didn't mind because all I wanted to see was the dogs. There wasn't power in the tents. Just a couple battery powered lights by the bed. The bathroom and outdoor shower weren't powered at all. There was a hurricane lamp by the toilet and that was it. Luckily I brought a flashlight with me! They did have hot water though.

Our guide was named Alberto. His girlfriend worked at Shinde where I went with my Dad and Cindy. Simon was our tracker and he sat on a chair built on the front of the car. Our 1st game drive were went out looking for 3 cheetah brothers that one of the other trucks saw that morning. We didn't find them but we had a nice drive. The next days adventure gets its own post so you will have to wait for that!

We had a morning game drive on Sunday. I was so sore from the Sat. adventure I could barely move. We saw a baby zebra that had just been born within a day. It was so cute. We also saw a secretary bird which was a new one. With this camp I finally went over my 200 bird mark of identified birds. I still have to work with Susie on some that I can't figure out. It was a 1 hour flight on the little plane to Maun and then off to Gabarone for 3 days before I went home to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment